Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Yesterday Rush Limbaugh told us Trump had to show up for the debate, today . . . not so much

Rush is just as clueless as everyone else.

Here is Rush today, after telling us yesterday Trump had to show up to the debate:

But the rules of the game say when there's a debate, you show up.  Screw the rules, he's saying.  Why should I willingly give them another shot at me in a circumstance they control, why should I do it?  What's the sense in it for me?  I'm leading; I'm running the pack here; why in the world should I put myself in that circumstance?  I've already seen what's gonna happen.

The depths of The Art of the Deal were there yesterday for Rush to plumb, and he didn't, but today he supposedly did all of a sudden? What, Rush read the book last night? Come on now.

Rush is just making it up as he goes, trying to make sense of it all.

But I'll tell you what. This is what Trump is really doing from my perspective as one who voted for Reagan twice.

Trump is already acting like he's the president. Everything he's doing is in the mold of Reagan. He's going straight to the people every night, flying on his jet from venue to venue like a man driven, talking directly to the people, just as Reagan did every week in his press conferences and in his Oval Office addresses. And Trump's skipping the Iowa debate like the Gipper did and going to the people instead.

That is what Trump is all about -- going over everyone's head, especially the press' head, and talking directly to the people.

That was the secret to Reagan's success, and so far it is the secret to Trump's. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Trump sees himself as a continuation of Reagan. Both are liberals and Democrats turned conservatives and Republicans. And Reagan had just as hard a time convincing the established right then as Trump is having now. 

Just look at the reaction of Establishment Republicans. They hate them both, especially the Bushies.

But the people? The people love them.